Saturday, August 29, 2009

I caught my eye in a swinging door.

Despite the fact that Jawbreaker's did a hell of a lot here in CA, I've noticed that so few people have any idea who they are. Ridiculous. They were fucking amazing; Dear You is still one of my all-time favorite albums. I can see how some people wouldn't dig them because it's not their style or whatever, but Jawbreaker is just one of those bands that you should know. Their influence is vast yet somehow Jets to Brazil's the little Schwarzenbach project that holds a lot of attention.

Jets to Brazil is more digestable than Jawbreaker in some ways, sure, but the musicality of JtB is (in my opinion, o'course) not nearly as stunning as was in Jawbreaker. "Accident Prone" and "Fireman" are fucking fantastic; the layering in "Accident Prone" always gets me, particularly at the bridge. "Jet Black" has great lyrics, as do so many other songs, partially due to the sardonic texture of everything said.

I would give SO much to have seen their release show in '95 at the Roxy when they were right about to break up (simultaneously releasing Dear You). However, I was just shy of 6 years old and, uh, probably wouldn't have fit it.

Anyways, that's my rant on Jawbreaker. I was listening to them and decided to go on & on. Recent news:
  • Our neighbors are batshit insane and have it out to get us, basically. Shitstorm brewed quickly and exploded immensely.
  • Went to a party last night. Too many people there. Got clausterphobic, eep. Fun, nonetheless, and glad I went.
  • Watched Hamlet 2 with Heidi tonight. Mixed feelings on the movie; it's sporadically funny but mostly just stupid. Also, I hate actress like Amy Poehler, to be honest.
  • I got a bike! Relatively cheap and works just fine. Heidi and I went bike riding over Jessica's and I'm trying to gain better control over the damn thing. I really don't want to ride in traffic. D:
Over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment