Wednesday, January 28, 2009

My name's not "Lucia Maria Perez Almanzo," I don't sell drugs, and I'm not the salsa sidekick.

I couldn't sleep last night so I watched 21 and Asylum. Asylum is just generally bad: bad cast/concept/execution and an even worse script. I found so much continuity just watching it once. Then there's 21. For the cast and budget it was given, was fucking horrendous. Kate Bosworth was either directed horribly or simply cannot act; either way, it's somebody's fault and I'd like to give whomever that may be a swift but hard smack. It's an amazing story given that it's true, and Jeff Ma is definitely an incredible person. I, like many, find it offensive that they changed the main character to be caucasion. It's unfortunate that Hollywood, in all of its trillions of dollars, refuses to take racial "risks" and actually cast people who resemble the people they're portraying. Start paying attention to what sort of characters Asian actors play (almost always, they are: gurus, martial artists, gangsters/mobsters, or geeks, or extras depending on where the story's setting is). Then take a look at who Hispanic actors play (males: gangsters, troubled youths, poor people, potheads, unintelligent comic relief; women: "fiesty chiquitas" who use frivelous Spanish when seducing men/talking to their girlfriends, older women gurus, poor people, dancers). And black actors usually end up as side characters unless the movie has an almost exclusively black cast. It fucking sucks, and television and movies could easily change this. People who love movies and TV get used to things and adjust to them at alarming rates because all they usually give a fuck about is (often mindless) entertainment, anyways. Just make sure the characters aren't gay because then we're all just going to hell, obviously.

Movies I plan on watching or re-watching this week:
  • El Bola (Spanish film directed by Achero Manas)
  • Cigarette Burns (I think it'll be the fifth or sixth time)
  • What's Eating Gilbert Grape (I love this movie so much)
  • Eden Lake (I need to find a way to see this!)
  • Suicide (German)
  • Tomb of Torture (1965 Italian horror)
  • OldBoy (I've been meaning to see this forevah)
  • Man Bites Dog (this, too)
  • EXECUTIVE KOALA



My ears are still 4g but the SF glass tunnels Olivia lent me have HUGE front flares. I really like them, though; they're super comfy. I'm gonna have to buy myself a pair on BAF next time I have dinero!

2 comments:

  1. cigarette burns fucking rules... and is fucking disturbing

    your new gauges fucking rule

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely my favorite Masters of Horror, and probably one of my favorite movies in general.

    And thanks, Ryry!

    ReplyDelete