Tuesday, September 1, 2009

August is over.

Thank goodness. I'm hoping it cools off in the near future; it's been almost exclusively in the 90s-100s these past two weeks with the exception of today, which was 88. Today was Steph's birthday so we went over to Studio D and hung out for a while there. I need to get my bike (!) fixed asap so I don't need to walk in this goddamned heat.

My classes are actually pretty sick with the exception of Intro to Creative Writing. I'm taking it with a fellow who seems to have a little too much to prove. Somewhat pretentious, it seems, and that frustrates me, but I'll give it a chance, it's required for my major, + it's at 1pm and it's my first class on Mondays so I really don't feel like giving it up. We're reading some good stories; I just am pretty doubtful of the structure of the class considering we literally ONLY read stories for the first 9 weeks - that is, no poetry, no creative nonfiction, no journalism, etc. and then we work on one story the rest of the semester. Not happy about that, but ah well.

However! Right after that class, I have a class called Composing the Self with Doug Sweet and oh my dear god, that man is fucking awesome. I am SO thrilled to have a class with him. He lacks the normal bullshit teachers put between you and themselves, and hates the "intro, thesis, transition sentences, three body paragraphs, fuckfuckyaddayadda" bullshit that so many teachers (ahem, Writing About Film last year) absolutely adore. As writers, though, do they honesty believe anybody's that interested in those sorts of essays? If Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs had been structured that way, I doubt I would've read past the first page. Anyways, Sweet = the teacher I'm most stoked about since I got to Chapman. There's no real "structure" to the class, he doesn't bullshit, he's into creative writing whether it's poetry or prose or creative nonfiction or whatever you want, and he's an avid learner/reader/teacher. I am seriously so stoked on this class.

I'm also taking Beauty of Physics, a non-math physics class. The teacher's pretty chill, gave us cake (which some random nice fellah brought to Heidi and I), and it was a good time. I actually am interested in the subject matter and hopefully won't totally blow at it like I did in high school. At the least, I won't be quite as deterred as I was back then by all the goddamned math.

I'm taking six classes this semester (tomorrow I've got Studies in Literary Tradition at 10 and then Elementary Arabic at 5:30; Wednesday's the same as today but with Social Problems from 7-10pm), so I have to be extra serious. Or serious at all. Something like that.

Hopefully I'll be working on sets in the near future; I know for sure that I'll be on Elise's in October/November and somebody else's around then, too, and that one'll pay. :D However, I need a real job asap. I am applying to a daycare nearby this week; I can't think of a more fun job than working with little kids besides working with animals, haha.

Over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment