Tuesday, July 7, 2009

"Please, all we want is to go back home."


d-9.com

I'm actually pretty stoked. But then again, I am a sucker for (1)a more interesting take on genre films (2)elaborate viral campaigns. :P

This reminds me of the recent $70 zombie film that made it into Cannes. The budget basically covered tea and a baseball bat, or something along those lines. Marc Vincent Price filmed it, planned it, edited it, mixed it, blahblah etc. and made an admirable, awesome movie. This is not what it has in common (IMO) with "District 9," however. "Colin" is a zombie film, but offers the perspective of a zombie. "District 9" is a sci-fi alien film, but with sympathy and perspective from aliens.

My only complaint is, as with most alien films, the non-humans are so human-like. Obviously, I cannot say from experience that that wouldn't be true, but I mean...a being from another galaxy which has innumerable differences in conditions in comparison to Earth, and yet it walks on two legs, has arms, breathes, and speaks? This sounds...unlikely. Regardless, though, it seems like an interesting film.

Plus, the viral campaign is pretty interesting. There are multiple websites that are part of said campaign, including a website that details the "organization" that basically owns the non-humans and their technology as well as a blog by an "anti-MNU activist" non-human who is trying to expose the evils of that corporation. There are some points that could be better (for example, the "comments" on the blog of the activist are pretty laughable and sound like the way a "cool mom" tries to talk to her kids with phrases like "DON'T BE A HATER, YO"), but I'm digging poking around. :D It makes me happy when films put in considerable effort to building suspense. Basically, I look forward to seeing it and I hope it lives up to my expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment